The parish church of Rhêmes-Saint-Georges, dedicated to Saint George, patron of the village, has been built where it always was during the 18th century.
Tradition tells us that previously there was a church in the hamlet of Voix, which was destroyed in a flood. The little evidence going back to that time is kept in a little museum set up in a chapel next to the church.
The building was completely restructured in 1713. The only part left from the original medieval structure is the lower portion of the bell tower -which bears traces of the romantic stile- and the foundations of the Church.
During Pope Benedict XVI’s holidays, in the summer 2006, the parish church exceptionally hosted the Day of Prayer and Penance for the peace in the Middle East, presided by the Pope himself.
The visit of Peter’s successor was a one-time, historical event. As a memento of the event, the little church of Saint George keeps a golden chasuble donated by the Holy Father to the parish.
Throughout the centuries, the church has undergone different transformations.
In particular, it was endowed, in 1833, with a cantoria (a loft for the choir) with painted wooden panels; in 1840 with a tabernacle and the statues of Nôtre Dame des Victoires, Santa Barbara and Saint Louis Gonzaga and, at the end of the century, with chandeliers made of Bohemia Glass.
The interior decorations were painted, in 1800, by J.L. Grange; they depict large figures of saints and architectural trompe-l’œil motifs.
The main altar, made of carved wood, is painted and partly golden. The lower part has four helical columns with a cloth representing Virgin Mary and Child surrounded by saints. At the top, between the four helical columns, there is a representation of the Assumption of Mary with two Holy warriors.
At the bottom there are two statues depicting the Aosta Valley bishops Saint Grato and Saint Giocondo. The altars of the Rosary and of Saint Joseph are also made of carved wood, painted and partially golden, and belong to the 18th century.
There are numerous other chapels in the municipality’s territory, mostly built between the 17th and 18th centuries.